Computer Programming – Job Prospects, Career Opportunities and Careers
A Computer programmer is responsible to create codes for operating systems and software applications. After designing a computer program, a programmer writes code to convert the design into commands followed by a computer. A programmer also inspects the program for errors and writes it again and again to remove errors. A programmer always evaluates programs which are being used, makes updates, and adjustments when required.
Did You Know?
- In 2016, computer programmers earned $79,840 as median annual salary.
- Around 329,000 people worked as computer programmers in 2014.
- Most of them are employed by the companies which test and write software. Others worked for insurance and finance companies and software publishers.
- Usually, jobs are full time.
- It is a satisfactory job for those who love to work independently.
Did you know what the average day for a programmer is? These are the basic job responsibilities listed in online ads appeared in Indeed.com for computer programmer positions –
- Help develop new web-based IS or Information System
- Test, develop and implement computer programs on several operating systems
- Conduct all the activities required for the design, definition, testing, construction, and implementation of automated systems.
- Conducting tests to confirm program operation, and modifying program codes and/or sequences.
- Add new functionality to current applications
- Publish and create technical diagrams for coding
To become a computer programmer, you should earn a bachelor’s degree in mathematics, computer science, or technology. You are more likely to be hired by some employers if you have a degree in finance, accounting, and business, along with taking classes in computer science. You can also find work with an associate degree.
Experience is very important to a degree in this field. When you are in school, you need to do internships. You have to stay up-to-date with new programming languages while working in this field. If you have certifications in different languages, it would be great.
Best Institutes to do Computer Programming in India and Abroad
- IIT Bombay
- IIT Kanpur
- IIT Hyderabad
- NIT Trichy
- BITS Pilani
- IIT Kharagpur
- NIT Warangal
- University of California, CA
- Stanford University, CA
- University of Pennsylvania, PA
- Harvard University, MA
- University of Washington, WA
Soft Skills to Help You Grow Further
Along with technical skills gained through practical experience and formal training, here are the soft skills you need to flourish in your career –
- Problem Solving – You need to be able to identify problems.
- Reading Comprehension – You should understand written guidelines.
- Critical Thinking – When making decisions and solving conflicts, you need to compare all options to pick the best one.
- Attention to Detail/Troubleshooting – You should have the ability to detect every small mistake and fix it in coding.
- Active Listening – With this ability, you can understand guidelines from your team members.
Here are some of the key responsibilities of a computer programmer from real job openings on a reputed job portal, Indeed.com. Most of the employers expect mastery in specific languages –
- A high degree of accountability in their work
- A candidate should be able to work independently
- A candidate should be able to understand and apply principles of algebra and analyze data and generate reports.
- Ability to work under pressure to meet certain deadlines and to handle several tasks and changing priorities.
- Work well as a part of a team.
- Self-discipline because projects take months to finish.